Home Affairs minister Dr Aaron Motsoaledi has stated that there’s no truth in claims that fugitive Shepherd Bushiri re-entered South Africa on three occasions.
This happened at the time the law-enforcement agencies looked for him after he skipped bail late last year in November and fled to his home country Malawi.
Shepherd Bushiri and his wife were granted bail of R200 000 each. Motsoaledi slammed the reports when he came under criticism from members of the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) on Tuesday when ministers in the security cluster answered questions.
Dr Aaron Motsoaledi stated that there was no evidence showing that Bushiri had re-entered the country despite being a wanted man. There were reports that claimed he had visited South Africa three times after he and his wife escaped.
South Africa sent in a request to Malawi to extradite Shepherd and his wife to stand trial, but the matter is caught up in legal processes in Malawi.
Motsoaledi stated that there is no evidence showing that Bushiri had returned to South Africa. “As far as we’re concerned, we do not have evidence of that,” Motsoaledi said to the NCOP. He said the Hawks also declined the reports.
“We are now called to prove that Bushiri came to the country.” This was response to EFF’s Mmabatho Mokause who asked if Motsoaledi would resign if it was found that these claims were true.
Dr Aaron Motsoaledi concluded by said those claiming Bushiri had returned would need to provide evidence of this.