The African National Congress (ANC) claims to have met the deadline for registering candidates for the upcoming local government elections this time.
The ANC’s deputy secretary-general, Jessie Duarte said the party has managed to register all the candidates in a statement to the party’s national executive committee (NEC) members on Monday.
- IFP To Contest 105 Municipalities National Wide
- Ramaphosa: “Electric To Be Sustainable, Residents Must Pay What Is Above Basic Need”
Recall that the party missed the deadline to submit candidate lists in over 90 municipalities last month, resulting in a brief crisis. It was granted a lifeline after the Constitutional Court decided not to postpone the elections until next year and the IEC announced that it had re-opened candidate registration.
“All our candidates are now registered with the IEC and they have acknowledged receipt. We appeal to you to understand that you will continue to receive complaints and you may wish to ask for changes on the list,” Duarte reported to the NEC on Monday.
Some members of the party have expressed dissatisfaction with the candidate lists, claiming that they were forced to run and that the lists should be amended.
Just on Monday, in KwaZulu-Natal, the ANC Youth League marched to the party’s provincial offices to demand that young people be presented on the party’s candidate list to the IEC and 25% youth representation across all municipalities. However, Duarte told the NEC members, “At this stage, your perpetual calls to change names on the list is not possible”.
She further said that, if there were people on the list who were not eligible, such as those with criminal records or registered in another party that would be dealt with on Thursday and Friday. The Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC) has extended the deadline for political parties and independent candidates to register their candidates until Tuesday.